Saturday 18 January 2014

Strawberry White Chocolate Mini Muffins

     I've had a mini muffin pan for a couple of years now and its one of those kitchen accessories I could probley live without (hello donut pan sitting in the back of my pots and pans drawer that I used once after getting for Christmas last year), but mini muffins are more practical than donuts. So, I probley should make them more. They are perfect for that 10.30 am snack attack I seem to get every day at work. So, I've been meaning to make them and looked for different recipes specifically for mini muffins. This one looked super tasty: http://spoonful.com/recipes/strawberry-white-chocolate-mini-muffins (and bonus! I already had strawberries and white chocolate chips) But I noticed there was some easy swaps I could do to make them more healthy. It is resolution time! Ignore the chocolate chips ;) Recipe makes about 36 mini muffins.


Here is what I used:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (If you don't have you can use half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour)
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
2 eggs
3/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 snack size unsweetened apple sauce
1 cup strawberries diced small
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Here's what I did:
     Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Grease a mini muffin pan. I dont use mini muffin holders because I find them too small to fill. I prefer just greasing my pan, but grease thoroughly because when replacing oil with apple sauce, things can get a little sticky!





     In a medium sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients. In a larger bowl, whisk the wet ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together until just combined. Add in the strawberries and chocolate chips. 
Pour mixture in a mini muffin pan 3/4 of the way full. I found I had extra mixture and it filled about 1 1/2 mini muffin pans.
Lower heat to 400 degrees F. (Starting with a higher heat makes the tops puff out) Bake for 16-18 minutes. They are ready when a toothpick comes out clean. 
Eat and Enjoy! I freeze em and take them to work for snacks!



1 comment:

  1. These look yummy Amy! Love the healthy substitutions too. Can't wait to try them,

    ReplyDelete