Monday 3 February 2014

Oscar Buzz: pt 2

     This is the first year I have seen over half of the movies nominated for Best Picture and I've got to say, my second favourite may shock you. It was "Her," starring Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams. "Her" tells the story of a guy that is going through a divorce. In an attempt to get back into the dating world, he starts letting his friends set him up, but he doesn't have much luck. He finds more pleasure in communicating with his new iOS operating system and essentially falls in love with his iphone. It takes place in the future, where the iOS system is quite advanced and his iphone is able to communicate like an actual person. The problem lies in the fact that of course, the iPhone "Samantha," doesn't have a physical body. So, when Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) tries to do normal relationship things like introduce her to his friends, or have sexual relations it gets ummm, awkward. Scarlett Johansson plays "Samantha, and her voice is so captivating, who wouldn't want to date her?  As the new iOS system gets more popular, more and more people begin having abnormal relationships with their iPhones and problems arise. I don't want to give away the ending, so I will stop there, but this movie is definitely an interesting one and worth checking out. One of my favourite things about this movie was the cinematography. I am by no means an, "artsy"person, but even I noticed how pretty some of the views of Los Angeles were. I cant really see this movie winning Best Picture because there is some stiff competition, but it should take best cinematography. Also, as a side note if you have seen this movie, then you'll know what I'm talking about when I say, I hope the pants in the future are not that ugly. Those high-waisted pants scared me a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment